Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November is Adoption Awareness Month

In case you weren't aware....November is National Adoption Awareness Month. We are fortunate to live in a community that embraces adoption and we are able to participate in several events.

One organization that we are honored to support and be a small, small part of is Show Hope. This organization was started by Steven Curtis & Mary Beth Chapman, who adopted 3 daughters from China. Most in the Christian community are familiar with SCC's music. There are several of his songs playing on my blog : )

SCC has released his new CD and the first track is simply amazing. Its called "Heaven is the Face of a Little Girl". Here are the lyrics:
Heaven is the face of a little girl 
With dark brown eyes 
That disappear when she smiles. 
Heaven is the place 
Where she calls my name 
Says, “Daddy please come play with me for awhile.” 

Chorus: 

God, I know, it’s all of this and so much more, 
But God, You know, that this is what I’m aching for. 
God, you know, I just can’t see beyond the door. 
So right now... 

Heaven is the sound of her breathing deep, 
Lying on my chest, falling fast asleep while I sing. 
And Heaven is the weight of her in my arms, 
Being there to keep her safe from harm while she dreams 

And God, I know, it’s all of this and so much more, 
But God, You know, that this is what I’m longing for 
God, you know, I just can’t see beyond the door. 

Bridge: 
But in my mind’s eye I can see a place 
Where Your glory fills every empty space. 
All the cancer is gone, 
Every mouth is fed, 
And there’s no one left in the orphans’ bed. 
Every lonely heart finds their one true love, 
And there’s no more goodbye, 
And no more not enough, 
And there’s no more enemy (no more). 

Heaven is a sweet, maple syrup kiss 
And a thousand other little things I miss with her gone. 
Heaven is the place where she takes my hand 
And leads me to You, 
And we both run into Your arms. 

Oh God, I know, it’s so much more than I can dream. 
It’s far beyond anything I can conceive. 
So God, You know, I’m trusting You until I see 
Heaven in the face of my little girl, 
Heaven in the face of my little girl.


Most of you know the story of the Chapman's and their daughter Maria, who died tragically May 2008. So these lyrics are just so powerful knowing their story.

When I first heard and then read these lyrics my heart paused and pondered on the "bridge" section. I know that place of longing for heaven and the weariness of this world's suffering. Several times, in the face of suffering I have prayed "Jesus come quickly". 

When I sat in the orphanage in Hohhot and saw the hopelessness, lonliness, hunger, and disregard for human life...Jesus come quickly.

When I visit adoption and waiting children websites and daily encounter more and more and more children who spend another day alone, with no family, no love, no future....Jesus come quickly.

When I hear of another friend, another parent, another child dying of disease and pain...Jesus come quickly.

When I think of my baby girl left alone at a hospital gate in the cold night of New Year's eve and then lying in a crib, belonging to no one...Jesus come quickly.

I do long for that day when Jesus returns and we are with our Lord forever and He will "wipe every tear". But as I have sat in prayer about "Jesus come quickly"...He has revealed something to me.  I am to "go quickly" into the these sufferings of His beloved. I can take with me His story of Hope, Love, Peace, Salvation and tell the story through serving, feeding, clothing, befriending, speaking Truth, and adopting His beloved. 

This is Adoption Awareness month. Go quickly! Love His Beloved! He calls YOU Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment