Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Our amazing little girl

I can't believe how God has blessed us with Elizabeth. You could not ask for a sweeter child. She has already been through unimaginable trauma in her past 19 months and especially those weeks we were in China. We brought her home and knew the "changes" were still coming.

See....we have been in all types of "limbo" for the past 2 years.....job, home, finances, etc. And just when we got Elizabeth's referral God starting aligning those stars in in our life. There were still several unknowns but by the time we went to China God had provided all the answers to those "limbo" issues.

So what did we do 10 days after coming home with Elizabeth?

Well, we closed and moved into our new house! It is exciting and long awaited for but I was very concerned with how this would play out with a newly adopted child, who just got ripped from her foster family and trekked across China in multiple hotels, then short stay at Grandparents house. Finally landing at the new home, on my hip as the movers unloaded the big truck and living among boxes and chaos. I am exhausted and overwhelmed......

My Elizabeth? She is smiling, playing with her siblings, only wanting Mama to fill the sleep, food, comfort needs(this is amazing attachment!), and trying to say new English words. Oh, and last night...first night in the new house. She slept in her new bed in her new room and the first time since we met.... without me sleeping next to her. I had a trundle bed ready beside her in case I needed to stay. I was (and still am) prepared to stay if she needed me. She fussed off & on until about 11:00 pm and then slept until morning without a peep! When she did "fuss" I made sure I was in her room (mine is next door) asap and comforting her. I want to PROVE to her that I will be there. I was like a mama with a newborn. I woke several times during the night worrying if she was ok. It was so quiet and she hadn't fussed all night...finally I got up and checked on her several times.....and thank goodness didn't wake her checking in!

This morning I was the first awake in the house. All the kids were sleeping late. I checked on Elizabeth several times and she was still sleeping. Finally at 8:30 I went into her room to wake her....I didn't want her to wake up afraid in the new house. She looked at me and smiled and started babbling.....what a sweet girl.

It seems when she is hungry (which is every couple hours!) or tired is when she is cranky. So hopefully soon we'll get into a pretty good rhythm with those things. She is still a great eater!

As I'm typing this entry we are doing the "fuss" dance right now. Hopefully she'll settle into deeper sleep and we will have the same long time sleep as last night!

I have to brag on my other children a little bit too. Langley has been incredible. I really could not have done this move without her help. She is so good with Elizabeth and probably the most patient human being I've ever known. She certainly didn't inherit that from me! Mac is mostly hands off with E....he just often talks about how cute she is and is ALWAYS the first to announce to ANYONE we meet about his new sister from China! I know Mac will always protect his baby sister. And Gray...the dethroned baby in the family. What a great little boy.....he and Elizabeth are starting to enjoy playing with each other. He is very tender and nuturing (and roudy/boyish at times too). Gray loves to teach Elizabeth new things or show her new experiences. He is ready to show her the world as he knows it!

Also I have to mention the amazing support from friends & family. We are so blessed and they continue to bless us. Next week we have meals being brought to us and with a new house it couldn't be more helpful! Some sweet friends and NEW neighbors and family have brought meals this week. I love living in the south!!! And Sunday our community group from church is having a Welcome party for Elizabeth....I hope we get to share many, many years watching each other's children grow....what a precious group!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that it is going so well! I am dying to meet this precious little one!!

    Hugs to everyone...

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! So much going on in your life- so much GOOD. You know you have full permission to live in your PJs for a month, right???! Ha!

    ReplyDelete