Tuesday, July 28, 2009

One month together

One month.....we've had Elizabeth in our arms for a month!

It many ways it seems so much longer.....like I can't remember what it was like not knowing her. I remember what it was like to parent 3 children instead of 4, but I have to stop to think about when I didn't KNOW this little person. And for the record the jump from 3 to 4 is a JUMP. I didn't think it was much of a change going from 2 to 3 but I do think going from 3 to 4 children takes quiet a readjustment in parenting strategies.

Or maybe its just the fact that #4 came along with many other variables....like being in a foreign country and she thought she already had parents. Or maybe because 10 days after arriving back in the states we moved into our home. Anyways....we are readjusting our parenting a bit these days and overall seems to be going ok.

I know at "milestone" dates its always interesting to see the progress the children make after coming home. When you go back and look at the gotcha day photos its shocking. I think this is where you get a visual aid of God's miracle work in adoption. 

 
Gotcha Day....sad little girl


He has worked a miracle in her heart.....she is trusting us, seeking us, depending on us, and maybe, just maybe even learning to love us a bit. And He has worked a miracle in us too. At times, by the power of the Holy Spirit we have loved a little deeper, a little less selfishlessly, hopefully a little more like Jesus. Of course we have been awfully fallen at times especially when the weariness of body, mind, & spirit are overwhelming. But I hope more than anything that Elizabeth hasn't just experienced the love of a family but she has been overcome and captured by the love of Christ. He is big enough for that. To use a flawed family with parents who will mess up to work His miracle of love in one of His precious children. We are so humbled. We are so grateful. We are so loved.

Can't you see it? Don't you see the Gospel in the story of adoption? Each time a layer is revealed it amazes me.........God just wants us to trust Him, seek Him, depend on Him and maybe, just maybe we will learn to love Him a little bit. Have you experienced "Gotcha" with your Forever Father???

To Elizabeth.......Happy "1 month since Gotcha Day" my sweet Elizabeth.....I'll never forget the first time I saw you in the flesh....you took my breathe away. I was amazed by the beauty of your face and your spirit. I knew immediately we had been blessed far beyond we had ever hoped or imagined. And now that we have spent the last month together I am more and more thankful to call you my daughter. What a privledge to get to be your Mommy forever. You make me laugh and smile and have brought such joy to our family. Just like we said a month ago in China....we promise to love you forever!

A few more photos to enjoy

These 1st 3 are at the airport as a group of us welcomed home a family with their 2nd daughter from China! Langley is leading "ring around the rosey" while Elizabeth hangs out in the middle!
Then a photos of all the beautiful girls who made the same journey home.
And the 3rd photo is Elizabeth with her cousin Corinne.




3 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon,

    What a beautiful post and what amazing photos to see what God has done in such a short time! It truly is a miracle and such a picture of what's possible for us as His adopted children!!

    Missing you...so wish we could come and see you!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is absolutely lovely, Shannon! I can see how much you all are enjoying each other. He is amazing, isn't He?
    Liesl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post and your family certainly is a reflection of the love of Christ. Thank God for His love and adopting is all into His fold. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete