Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Starting the school year


We have "officially" started our school year for Langley. She is my 4th grader whom I am homeschooling. This is a first for me! It has taken about a week to figure out our system....well I had a plan but then had to readjust as dictated by how Elizabeth responded. So as for now we are doing most of our actual one on one teaching time during naptime. Elizabeth doesn't really play independently. She LOVES her siblings, especially Langley and wants to be with her or me at all times. That doesn't really work when Langley and I both need to concentrate on a lesson.

So Langley does her independent work in the morning. I think as Elizabeth settles a little more I can get a lesson or two done during the morning hours as well. Then we have lunch and E takes a nap. That is when Langley and I both can really concentrate on the more intense work.

Mac starts school next week and I'm excited to see how much he's going to learn in 1st grade. What a fun grade! We are working on his summer reading project still. Its due next Thursday so we are finishing that.

Gray heads to preschool in early September and Langley will go to "homeschool school" the two days Gray is at preschool. So that gives Elizabeth some undivided time with me twice a week.

We also started back our music lessons this week and the sports start next week. Elizabeth is about to experience her family in a new pace now. Thankfully her personality is pretty laid back and I think she enjoys the activity (chaos) of a busy family.

Elizabeth is still doing really well in all areas. She still SCREAMS at me when she is in her highchair as I'm frantically gathering a thanksgiving meal worth of food for her at EACH meal! Its great that she is a good eater but jeesh its alot of pressure to keep her satisfied! She eats breakfast at 8:30, snack at 10 and she is screaming for lunch by 10:30! And you BETTER be feeding her dinner by 5:00pm! Her thighs and belly are OBVIOUSLY bigger.....maybe she'll show up on the growth chart soon. We go back to the pediatrician next week and she has her assessment this week for physical therapy. I bet she has gained at least a pound in a month!

I also wanted to post the quilt squares that have arrived. We still need more!!! We are over 1/2 way there but would love for friends and family to still send them if you haven't already.

#54 From my dear friend Kirsten and her family. We have been friends since we were 15 yrs old! PHOTO COMING

#55 This is from my sweet friend Elizabeth who I always share my dreams with! She has always supported me and shared a heart for adoption. PHOTO COMING

#56 This square is from my nieces, Charlotte & Caroline's grandparents, Fred & Carol. It is fabric that has been in both the girls nurseries....isn't that sweet! PHOTO COMING

We are so loving being in our new house. Elizabeth enjoys being outside, going for walks, and just watching her siblings. She still has huge aversion to grass....she just hates the feel of it and cries when we stand her in it....sorry but it kind of make me laugh watching her face :) 

We had some family portaits done this week. I'll see if I can upload a few of those. They were done by Joe Hendricks at joehindricks.com  He and his wife Rhonda are awesome to work with!









1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous pics and it sounds like you're diving right into "normal" life. I can not tell you how encouraging that is to me. :-) Congrats on starting the school year- I'm sure you'll both find your rhythm soon and it will be a big blessing and reward.

    ReplyDelete