Monday, June 22, 2009

A sad, difficult decision

As you know we have been at prayer regarding the swine flu. We are concerned at a variety of levels but tonight something was brought to our attention that we could not ignore. The following is a section from the US State Dept.

In some instances, children have been separated from their parents because either the parent or the child tested positive for 2009-H1N1 and was placed in quarantine for treatment. This situation presents the possibility of Chinese medical personnel administering medications to minors without first having consulted their parents.

Through many prayers & tears we have decided to leave our oldest daughter home. We are heartbroken and she is heartbroken. We just felt it was unwise to subject her to risk of being removed from our care and being alone in a Chinese hospital. We are trusting that God has provided us with this information for our protection and given us wisdom to make this difficult decision.

We were completely packed & ready and now we are repacking, changing flights, and rearranging childcare. 

We thank God for providing this information 24 hrs prior to leaving rather than 24 hours after arriving.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon, I am so sorry but I think you are so wise to see this as God's protection. That would be unthinkably scary to be separated and have her in the hands of medical personnel that didn't respect or honor your rights as her parents. Please give her a hug from us, I know she is SO disappointed...

    Love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is breaking! Poor Langley and Poor Elisabeth! What child wouldn't fall in love with that sweet little Langley face immediately. I know that you and John are sick emotionally and I hope you know that Sweet Jesus is holding all of you and giving you the wisdom and strength that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, but Shannon I agree with Sharla. You and John have wisely seen God's hand of protection in this. I want you to know that after I saw RQ's post yesterday I prayed continually for you and John to have God's wisdom revealed clearly to you. I had no doubt in my mind and spirit you were praying earnestly for His direction. I also want you to know that we didn't tell the boys they couldn't go until about a week before our trip. We had planned to take them all along until we got word of S's declining health. They were disappointed but in the end we had no doubt it was God's will for them to stay here. I pray for Langley to have God's peace about all of this and to see His protection over her life in it as well. Praying for you too to still have His peace and protection on your journey. Just one more sleep until you depart!!! Love and Hugs and Many Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is so hard for all of you, but I just know that God is protecting all of you in this! We'll make Langley's stay here as sweet as it can be! I'm sure her precious little brothers are secretly thrilled that she is staying! She'll make their time without ya'll easier I'm sure! We love you all and are praying!!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete